Larnaka City Center
The charming coastal region of Larnaka is a place where past and present blend into a delightful mosaic of sun and culture. It is a destination that amazes every visitor with its diversity, its special atmosphere and the hospitality of its people. Larnaka is considered to be Cyprus’s oldest region, with a history of 10.000 years From its traditional architecture, authentic taverns and local handicrafts to its cultural sites, museums and religious monuments, old Larnaka is an evocative glimpse into a Cyprus past. New and modern Larnaka harmoniously intertwines with the elements of ancient Kition and offers the cosmopolitan visitor beautiful sandy and safe beaches, a bustling promenade lined with cafes and restaurants, brand-name shopping, advanced infrastructure and every conceivable amenity.
Top 10 Larnaka Landmarks:
– Agios Lazaros (Saint Lazarus) Byzantine Church: One of the most important surviving Byzantine Monuments in the whole of Cyprus, built around 900 AD.
– Palm Tree Promenade: Lamaka” s most famous promenade of “Foinikoudes” is a 600-metre long stretch that combines coast, entertainment and culture along its palm tree lined length
– Larnaka Salt Lake: A significant Ramsar and Natura 2000 site and one of the most important biotopes in Europe. During the winter, the lake is home to migrating birds, including flamingos.
– Larnaka Medieval Castle: Founded by the Byzantines in the 12th century. It hosts a Medieval Museum and a Garden Theatre.
– Hala Sultan Tekke: Dated around the 18th century, it is built over a tomb which according to tradition belongs to Umm Haram, foster-mother of the Prophet Mohammed.
– Kamares-The Old Aqueduct: The grandiose arches are part of the old Larnaka Aqueduct, constructed in 1745.
– Ancient Kition: Dated from the 13th until the 4th century B.C. Goddesses Aphrodite and Astarte were worshipped here.
– Europe Square: Lined with colonial buildings which now house the Municipal Art Gallery and the Larnaka Historic Archives Museum.
– Mckenzie beach: A popular Blue Flag awarded sandy beach and a top hotspot on the island.
– Zenobia Wreck: Considered to be the world’s best wreck dive site.